We make it better
As a Healthcare Assistant, you’re the backbone of the ward team.
Working alongside, and supporting the nursing team, you’ll make patients feel safe, comfortable and well cared for. You’ll be there for them, their families and visitors, as a friendly, calming presence in what can be some of their most difficult times.
Bring a flexible, can-do attitude and you can play an important part in providing excellent patient care. It is an opportunity to play a real, valued part in your local community, while you develop a worthwhile career that could offer long-term prospects.
With full training, you’ll help patients with daily activities and encourage their independence wherever possible. This will involve helping patients to wash and dress, eat and drink, and move about the ward, including helping them go to the toilet. Your other responsibilities will include monitoring patients by checking their temperature, pulse, respiration and weight, maintaining accurate patient records and collecting specimens such as blood samples.
You do not need previous healthcare experience to apply. You’ll need to be compassionate, and a great team worker, ready to get involved in whatever needs doing to ensure patients’ comfort, safety and wellbeing. Try our Match me tool to see if this is the right role for you.
We’ll give you full training to provide patient care and clinical support. You’ll also grow your skills and knowledge working with nurses, doctors or midwives and other registered healthcare professionals. As you develop, you’ll have more responsibility and opportunities to gain further qualifications to enable you to progress your healthcare career.
Healthcare Assistant Recruitment Process
- You can search for our Healthcare Assistant vacancies under Nursing and Midwifery on our search page.
- Please submit your application for the appropriate site, making sure you describe the skills and qualifications you have that are required for the role based on the Job Description and Person Specification.
- If you are successfully shortlisted, we will invite you to complete online assessments for maths, literacy, and comprehension.
- If you are successful at this online assessment stage, we will invite you to a virtual group discussion followed by a virtual panelled interview.
- If you are successful at interview, we will make you a conditional offer of employment for the hospital site you have applied to join.
- This offer will be subject to satisfactory employment checks – proof of identity, proof of your right to work in the UK, occupational health clearance, criminal check, references and qualifications.
Unconditional Offer and Start Date
- After all employment checks are satisfactorily received, we will be in touch to ask you to contact your line manager to agree a convenient start date.
- When you have agreed your start date, we will organise your induction.
- This induction date will be your first date of employment.
Please note that all applications will be managed through the TRAC system. Applications made through NHS Jobs will be transferred to TRAC, and subsequent communication will be managed through there.
“I love the challenge of being able to help people.”Healthcare Assistant